Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Post from a lonely man!!

I am typing this from my hotel room in Jacksonville, Fl. I have been here since Sunday attending our national sales meeting. It is a long week filled with meetings (to talk about how we did and to talk about what the next year's goals are.) I have been coming to these things for 20 some odd years and while it is kind of fun to get away for awhile, I have to say the appeal is wearing off a bit.

Usually we start them on a Friday and work over the weekend. (a European idea, I guess) This year was different and I like it much better. We started on Tuesday and will end tomorrow. I had to come in on Sunday as I had a customer who came to a meeting where he presented a talk to a group of other customers and ABB people. Anyway, it is almost over.

I don't like being away from home for lots of reasons, not the least of which is I miss Mom and Meggie when I am gone so long. These meetings are a lot of mingling, networking and plain old chit-chatting at the dinners and receptions and all. It gets old. I like to visit with some of my old friends, but every year there are fewer and fewer as they are all starting to retire. Ron West (a.k "Thunder Tonque") was one of the top 7 people this year.....he sold over $52 million in equipment. (I sold just over $10 million to put that in perspective and I had a great year) Most of the folks drink a lot and after awhile I just leave as it isn't that much fun to talk to drunk people, even if they are good friends. Overall, it is a good experience but I won't miss it all that much when it ends for me.

The weather here has been lousy. You come to Florida and you think it is going to be nice. It has rained all week to where we couldn't even go out and just today (Thursday) it turned nice on us and the sun came out and it was really, really lovely. Now I have to go back to Denver and face the music with all the snow. (That is called reality!!)

I am so glad to see some of you continue to post on a fairly regular basis. I have several things I have thought about to put on my Blog but just don't seem to get around to it. I will get better and so let the pontificating begin on my next post.

I love you all.
Dad

4 comments:

Tankfos said...

No Dad. Dreaming big and always coming up short, that is reality.

Ad

Tankfos said...

I am just joking about the coming up short thing.

I am curious how Ron West got the nickname "Thunder Tongue." Can you explain that one a little bit more? Is he the guy that ran all of the competition out of town by sheer salesman genious?

Ad

Anonymous said...

A bummer to be rained in while in Florida. Welcome back to the Rocky Mountain Antarctica.

Gotta admit, your sales meetings don't sound like much fun. I'm definitely not one for the superficial mingling scene.

But glad to have you back in action on the blogs. Go ahead an post all of you erroneous ideas so that I can set the record straight! :)

Danalin said...

Mick,

I would love to meet ole "Thunder Tongue" someday. I bet he could give us all a few pointers on how to "close the deal."

I bet it is nice to finally be back home again. I don't know how you have handled traveling so much in your career (or how the Mags handled it for that matter). I think it is more than I could take. Fortunately, my job has not required much traveling so far and I hope it stays that way.

Oh, and Adam, I think your reality is right on. Two words: Life Stinks!

Ty