Thursday, October 11, 2007

Name that title

I got an e-mail and thought it was humourous so I thought I would post it.

I have always loved Country Western Music (for a little while that is) and one of the most creative things about it are the lyrics and titles of the songs. Not sure there is any music genre that is so full of clever play on words, funny thoughts and just plain dumb titles as Country Western Music.

Here are some titles of real songs. I may have thrown in a fake one or two. Can you tell me which ones are not real? Unfortunately, most of them are about a breakup, a broken marriage and stuff like that, but I have to say some of them are funny although inane to say the least. Have no idea what the music to them is like, but it is probably just as bad as the titles.

Dad

* I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You 

* Mama Get A Hammer, (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)

* Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure 

* I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling 

* I Just Bought A Car From A Guy That Stole My Girl, But The Car Don't Run So I Figure
we got an even deal.

* I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better 

* I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win 

* I'm So Miserable Without You, It's Like Having You Here 

* She Got the Goldmine and I Got the Shaft 

* You Done Tore Out My Heart and Stomped that Sucker Flat 

* If The Phone Don't Ring, It's Me

* I Changed Her Oil, She Changed My Life

* If You Don't Leave Me Alone, I'll Go And Find Someone Else Who Will

* My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field, While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart

* You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

* If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?

* Am I Double Parked by the Curbstone of Your Heart?

* At the Gas Station of Love, I Got the Self Service Pump

* Come out of the Wheatfield Nellie, You're Going Against the Grain

* I Gave Her My Heart And A Diamond And She Clubbed Me With A Spade

* I Want a Beer as Cold as My Ex-Wife's Heart

* I Was Looking Back to See If You Were Looking Back to See If I Was Looking Back
to See if You Were Looking Back at Me

* I Went Back to My Fourth Wife for the Third Time and Gave Her a Second Chance to
Make a First Class Fool Out of Me

* I Wish I Were A Woman (So I Could Go Out With A Guy Like Me)

* I Flushed You From The Toilet Of My Heart.

* My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him

* She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart

* When You Leave Walk Out Backwards, So I'll Think You're Walking In

* You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too

* You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Bannister Of Life


 

6 comments:

Goose said...

I won't lie I didn't read all of them, I got a little tired of it. Some are kind of funny though. I guess.

Danalin said...

I'm not even going to venture a guess on which ones you made up...

I have to admit to enjoying country music. Ty thinks that I love it because it's often on that station after I've driven the car. I do enjoy it every now and again, but the truth is that the only good stations we have programmed are NPR and country music. So when I don't feel like listening to talk radio (or when they're doing a tele-thon) then country music is my other choice. Our CDs aren't in the car either. Maybe one of these days I'll do some searching for good music stations and get them programmed in. But for now I enjoy a little "Achy Breaky Heart". :)

Wendi said...

My appreciation of vintage country music is pretty good -- I enjoy Johnny Cash, Pasty Cline, and Hank Williams (the first)...even a little Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson works. But the "modern" country genre makes me want to run screaming into the night, no lie...sorry Dana, but Billy Ray Cyrus frightens me!

As for your post, I'll add another title (an actual country-style song, albeit from a pop band called the Fountains of Wayne) -- "Since You Hung Up on Me, I'm Hung Up on You".

:-D

Mark said...

I recognize a couple of the titles . . . "she got the goldmine and I got the shaft"

and

"I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like you're here." (this one's courtesy of the above mentioned Billy Ray Cyrus)

If I had to guess, your made up titles are:

"I flushed you down the toilet of my heart"

and

"You can't have your cake and edith too." (Sounds like one of your dumb pun jokes.)

Hey, I like country, too . . . though your list didn't make me too proud of that . . . :)

Matthew said...

I like country music too -- too bad most of the stuff that's on "country" radio is not really country -- just some guy singing twangy over generic pop-rock music. Crap. Crap. Crap.

No, I like real country -- Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, good ol' Merle, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, George Jones. That's cryin' in yr. beer music.

Don't know how many of those songs are real -- are any of them? I mean, if that email said that any of them were real, shouldn't it also mention who wrote or sang them to be believed?

I haven't heard any of them, but I do like the way that a lot of country plays with words.

Tyler said...

"I flushed you from the toilet of my heart" can't be a real song. That is my vote!