Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Reunion in Iron Springs

This weekend we talked with Mark and Liz about the logistics for the reunion at Iron Springs this summer. It will be a challenge but I think we have come up with something that will work. Would appreciate comments as I think we need to be buying some airplane tickets pretty soon if we are going to do this. Here is what I think we came up with on a tentative basis. Mark and Liz, correct me if I'm not right on this.

1) Sometime early in the week of June 18th, Mark and Liz will drive to Tremonton
to spend some time with Liz's family, they get to meet Justin, etc.

2) On June 20th Mark takes off for Iron Springs with Joy and Grant. He will
probably stay somewhere like St. George to get up and arrive at Iron Springs
on Thursday around noonish or so.

3) On Thurs. June 21st in the morning, Liz's folks drop her at the SLC airport and
she will fly to Phoenix with Justin.

4) Dad, Mom and Meggie fly to Phoenix to meet up with Liz on Thursday morning. Need
to coordinate this time so Liz is not waiting around for a long time. We rent
a car and drive to Iron Spring to arrive as early as possible.

5) Sometime on the 21st, Ty, Dana and Max arrive from Vegas by car. Drew, Kristen
and Adam arrive from Provo. Jeff, Angie and Cal come up from Phoenix. I think
Matt and Wendi will arrive sometime on Friday or Saturday. Matt what are you
guys thinking? They will drive in their new car.

6) We can get into the cabins we are renting by sometime around noon or so on
Thursday the 21st.

7) We think the cost of the cabins will be around $1,200 so we will figure out a
way we can all share this cost equitably. We will need to figure out a meal
schedule like we have in the past. Maybe Dana or Angie can put that list
together. I suggest we just keep track of all the food and split that cost
between families. Other ideas on that?

8) The best part of the whole thing is Fri, Sat and Sun. where we can just enjoy
being together. We want it to be very relaxed for everyone and not to be
too scheduled. There are some things we need to talk about. I think we will
be with the Rustands and Boices on Sat. night and Wendi will have her shower
at some point. Maybe the guys can shoot a round of golf? I'd like to have
another family council at some point. Any ideas that are out there need to be
discussed, so state you case while you can of what we should do. Movies in
Prescott are a must at some point.

9) I have to be back in Denver on Monday night. I will have to go to Phoenix with
Liz and Justin on Monday morning the 25th, and she will fly back to SLC and I to
Denver. Mark and the kids will leave for Tremonton where he will hook up with
Liz and they drive back to Worland on Tues.

10) Jeff and Angie will be making the move up to Denver in that next week so the
plan is for they and Cal, Adam and Margaret and Meg to drive down to Phoenix
get them packed up and drive the moving truck to Denver, with one car in tow and
driving the other. Adam will help with the drive.

11) Adam will fly back to SLC once they get up to Denver.

12) T&D&M drive back to Vegas and fly back to Seattle...on Monday? Drew and
Kristen drive back to Provo. Matt and Wendi drive back to Denver at some
time....not sure when they need to be back.

13) We probably have to be out of the cabins by Monday afternoon but I'm sure the
Rustands can accomodate us for any that want to stay over and for Margaret, Meg
Jeff and Angie and Cal who will stay another day or two.

Advantages to this is that Liz doesn't have to make that long drive with Justin. The flight to and from Phoenix will make this much more enjoyable for her. I am also happy that we will not be making that 14 hour drive from Denver, even though we will have to spend some money on airline tickets....I still think it is worth it.

What have I got wrong or what have I missed? Please think about this and lets settle on a plan so the logistics part of this is put to bed and we can concentrate on how much fun we will have being together at one of the choice places on this planet for families.

Love you,
Dad

5 comments:

Angie said...

Such a thorough logistical plan. It all sounds good from our perspective. Wendi's shower will probably be late Saturday morning (10 or 11). I would be happy to figure out meal assignments, or help Dana do it. We also need to figure out who is doing what for the shower. I can't tell you how excited I am for all of this--to be with everybody and relax in Iron Springs. It's only two months away and will be here before we know it.

Tankfos said...

Sounds good!!
I just want to know how much I am going to get paid to go to Denver!!!

Danalin said...

Sounds great! We've already got our tickets and just need to rent the car...Iron Springs, here we come!

As far as the food goes, I think that last time (at the Ranch) Mickey and Margaret got stuck with the bill because Margaret did the shopping and they never told us how much to pay (Thanks again for your generosity, M & M). I know at other times we have all taken care of the shopping and cost of our own meals and that seemed to work out. So what if we each did our shopping and payed for our own
meal(s)- and by "our own meals" I mean the ones that we will be in charge of to make for everyone - and then everyone has to buy/make a treat or snack to share as well as a few gallons of milk and/or some orange juice??? Since most of us are driving at some point in the trip, a quick trip to a grocery store either before we leave on the trip or just before we get to Iron Springs wouldn't be very difficult. Tell me what you think! I personally think it would work better that way, but I've been known to be dead wrong in the past. :)

And, Ang, since you are the idea woman for the shower with me as your willing and loyal helper...I'd be happy to put the meal chart together if I can count on your advice and great ideas. :)

I am SO excited!!! I can't wait to see Iron Springs and meet more of the fabulous extended family. I'm excited to see the little people of the fam and let Max get to know his cousins. We're especially excited to meet Justin! Love you all.

Wendi said...

Sounds like a good plan to me, too. I'm excited about the shower, and am extremely grateful to Angie, Dana and the rest of the Foster gals for doing this for me. You ladies sure do know how to make a pregnant lady feel special -- big bear hugs to each and every one of you! >>:-)<<

As for meals, I agree with the idea of each group shopping ahead of time for the meal that they plan to prepare (or if possible, even preparing some of the dishes ahead of time; this would work well with things like pasta salads or baked dishes). This helps keep M&M from shouldering too much of the food bill for the army that is Clan Foster, and also cuts down on prep time once everyone is there.

I'll say ahead of time that I'm planning to make some fruit-based pies for the occasion, although I'm not sure what type yet. Any requests? I'm also thinking some pick-up desserts such as brownies would work well (read: easy transport). In any case, those are things I want to make "just beecause"; keep me posted on the meal plan and I'll try to work out something sufficiently crowd-pleasing!

Mark said...

Good and extremely thorough post, Dad.

There may be a change in the Wyoming Foster's plans, however. We may fly from Billings instead of drive from Worland . . . The more we considered a 24+ hour drive through the desert with 3 kids and a 3 week old infant, the more miserable it sounded. flying will be more expensive, but if we arrive psychologically intact and ready for fun at the reunion rather than wiped out, it will be worth it.

We would likely fly through Denver, so maybe we could even coordinate the flight down with M3 (that's Mick, Mag and Meg)on Wed the 20th and fly back on Mon the 25th. We would then need to rent a car, and again maybe we could split the cost of a suburban or large van with Mick?

I don't think this would much affect the current logistics you've laid out.

As far as details for meals, activities, etc . . . name the time, we'll have a meal. I'm thinkin' PB&Js. :) I would maybe suggest we just do loose, fend-for-yourself breakfasts, and then assign one lunch or dinner to each couple/group. I'll plan on skipping out when it's Adam and Meg's turn.

No, actually, I think Adam and Meg did a pretty good meal at the Ranch last summer . . . what was it, Top Ramen? :)